Friday, May 8, 2009

2009 May 8th: I was waked up by the people in the campsite next to me this morning. They were up and packing and putting things away getting ready to leave before 5:00am. I got up just because I couldn’t sleep anymore with them doing their thing.
I took my time and was on the road at 7:30am. I had a slight scare when I went to leave. I started the bike and was ready to go when I realized that I had not put in my earplugs (a common occurrence). I shut off the bike and took off my helmet and insert the earplugs, then put my helmet back on. When I went to start the bike it barely turned over and wouldn’t start. Luckily I was able to push the bike to the pavement and got it going fast enough to bump it and it started right up and I was off. I had accidently left the key on while I put up the tent and stuff; about 20 minutes the night before.
It was a little chilly and very moist this morning. Just before I left, this heavy fog moved into the area. I could see the blue sky above me but not very far in front of me. It was so moist, it was gathering on my face shield.
The first 200 miles were very fast and at a real good clip. After that I was in traffic most of the rest of the day.
Being in traffic was a little different. People were rolling down their windows and asking me questions; mostly in disbelief that I was from Colorado. I have put on 5700 miles so far on the bike so it feels like I from Colorado to me. I got a couple of thumbs up and some strange looks too. One kid even asked me what I do for a living; I told him that I ride my bike. Now I need to make that come true.
My plan today was to get to the Fort Meyers, FL KOA campground and stay with them. When I got there, it was still early. I asked the guy if he could call the KOA in Naples, FL and see if they had any campsites for tents. I ended up talking to the lady myself and soon figured out that they didn’t have any sites for me as she was quoting $55 for a tent site. I told her that I could stay in a hotel for that much. I said goodbye and then started to ask the guy about their tent sites. He told me that his tent sites were $35. The more questions I asked the worst the answers got. When I asked about wireless internet, he said that the first 4 hours is free after that we charge. Then he told me that if for some reason I get disconnected whether I’m on for 4 hours or 5 minutes, my time would be up. That was the last straw for me. I thanked him for his help and left.
I rode on down to Naples, FL and had a beautiful ride. It was slow and meandering, riding through some very expensive neighborhoods with nice homes. I even had a late model Bentley pass by me, then he turned down one of the side streets. You don’t see those cars everyday. One strange observation with these nice neighborhoods; there were no for sale signs. I went by hundreds of homes and maybe 3 signs. Go figure.
I had to stop for gas and take a break. I made a few phone calls and I could not find a campground anywhere for under $60. I looked up hotels.com and got their phone number. I talked to a guy who put me in a very nice Best Western near the airport for $63. That beats camping any day. Internet is FREE and they serve breakfast.
I got unloaded and then took a shower and got some dinner. When I came back from my short walk to dinner, I changed and went out to the pool and hot tub. That was just what I needed after 10 hours of sitting on the bike.
My plan was to stay at the KOA near Key West, FL tomorrow, but since I had a difficult time dealing with the people at the last 2 KOA’s, I decided to give hotels.com a call and I booked a room at a Holiday Inn for tomorrow night. Now I just have to make it through the Everglades NP and then on to Key West tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment