Friday, May 1, 2009






2009 April 29th: I slept like a rock last night. I woke up feeling great. I took a shower and got ready to go. I took some time and spoke with Rachel and Josh. We talked about all kinds of things. These people are the genuine article. If you are ever in Marion, AL, stop in at the Marion Hotel and they will make sure that you have a pleasant stay.
I got the bike packed up and took off for Barber Motorsports Museum. My ride to get there was through thick forest of large old growth trees that shaded the highway on both sides. I had very little traffic and perfect temperature for riding. It was a very beautiful ride.
I got there in just under 2 hours and when I walked through the doors I was overwhelmed. The place is fantastic. There are so many pristine examples of old vintage and even modern motorcycles, that I was amazed.
I was fortunate enough to see the Guggenheim – Art of Motorcycle exhibit when it was in LasVegas and this place blew that exhibit out of the water. The lady who sold me my ticket, Katy, said to go to the top floor and work my way down. On the fifth floor, right in front, was the Britten. For more information check out: http://splashmedia.co.nz/users/britten/ This is one of the most famous bikes ever built and there are only a handful of them around. Later, I saw the 2008 Bimota – Tesi 3D. This is an Italian made bike without front forks. It has a swing arm in front with center hub steering. Just being able to see these two perfect examples of engineering made it worth the trip for me.
The AMA races are being held at Barber this weekend so there was quite a bit of hustle and bustle going on outside with trucks from the big names pulling in. I spoke with several people while walking through and on of them was going to be in the races this weekend. He said that he was from Canada and had driven down to be in the race. I wish him well and hope that he does good racing.
I spent several hours wandering around in the museum and I even went back to look at some of the bikes again. As much as I wanted to stay, I felt that I needed to get rolling and get to the campground.
I found the campground without any problems and spoke to the owner for quite awhile. She was a very nice woman and she told my where to setup. This RV Park is right on a beautiful lake and the water was smooth as glass. I was immediately relaxed and felt like I was right at home.
Once I got my tent setup I went back towards town where this nice gentleman had told me that I should go to eat. The place was called Charlie’s Country Catfish. I had two pieces of grilled catfish with some onion rings and it was awesome. It really hit the spot for me as I have been craving fish for several days now.
I filled the bike up with gas and went back to the park. I took a shower and hand washed my Heat Gear and hung it up to dry.
I sat down with my laptop and finished watching a movie that I started a couple of days ago. I wrote my journal, but since this is another night without internet access, I will have to post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment