Monday, May 18, 2009

2009 May 18th: I had a difficult time sleeping last night because of the anticipated departure and thoughts of being on the road again. I lay awake waiting for the ensuing chaos of people hurrying to ready themselves for work. The time soon arrived and the hustle and bustle was happening. I was trying to remain calm and ready myself without getting in the way.
Ernie was, it seemed, unhappy to see me go, but I had no reason to stay any longer. I still have a long way to go. I watched him pull away on his bike bound for work and then I started to load up my bike and readied myself for departure. Even Debra was trying to get me to stay and eat some more food, but I was still full from the meal the night before. I said my goodbyes to Isaac and then he left. Then I said goodbye to Debra and then I left.
It didn’t take too long before I was suffering from the cold and I had to stop and put on the balaclava I have been carrying around for several years and have never used. My hands were suffering more than anything, and I stopped numerous times to warm them on the exhaust pipe. I only have summer gloves and no heated clothing or heated hand grips. I had put on the glove liners but they didn’t really help much. The moisture in the air was making me really feel the temperature.
I had to stop for a break at this gas station and have some hot chocolate. I met this nice woman named Tracy there, and we started talking about some of the recent events in her life. My thoughts go out to her and I hope that she finds joy and peace in her life.
I’m constantly amazed that people, for what ever reason will open up to a total stranger like me, and share some of their pain with me. My only hope for them is that it helps them heal and move on in peace. I have had many such experiences along this journey. It seems that everyone has a story that they want to share with me.
By the time I reached Shenandoah National Park the temperature had increased enough for me to be able to ride without the balaclava but my hands were still getting a little cold.
The Park was beautiful and I found myself stopping constantly to take pictures, so my hands were getting warmed up from not being in the wind so much. I was amazed at the amount of wildlife I saw and I was particularly blessed with seeing a mama bear and her cub. I saw 7 different dear and a wild turkey. The deer seemed not to be afraid of the cars which kind of frightened me as they were just hanging out by the road. I kept myself right at the speed limit of 35 mph just for that reason. The road was delightful, and I constantly had to keep myself in check with the speed limit.
I stopped for a break at the halfway point and got warmed up at the visitor’s center. I grabbed something to eat and talked to some other bikers that also saw the bears. They told me that there were 2 cubs but I only saw the one. To my surprise there were actually quite a few bikers riding despite the cold weather.
When I first thought of seeing Shenandoah National Park, I wasn’t sure of what I would find. I knew that it was close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and that every motorcycle magazine always raves about the BRP as the best motorcycling in the country. Shenandoah NP surprised me with 75 overlooks that are breathtaking. The wildlife was abundant and at ease with people. There are wildflowers everywhere and the forests are old with huge trees. I was pleasantly surprised with all that I found.
When I completed Shenandoah NP, I went down into Waynesboro, VA and found a place to stay. I got a bite to eat and then took a hot bath to thoroughly warm up.
Tomorrow, the Blue Ridge Parkway.

No comments:

Post a Comment