Tuesday, May 12, 2009

2009 May 12th: I found myself up really late doing emails and working on my computer last night. I got up around 8am this morning feeling well rested. My Aunt Annette made a wonderful breakfast this morning which turned out to be more food than I had eaten in several days. I felt well rested and now much energized.
Robin had a few places that he wanted to show me today, so once we were done with breakfast, we left. We went over to the Navel Base nearby and he gave me a tour of some of the grounds and the missile monument. Getting through security was interesting, but of course, no problem.
While we were driving around we came across very determined gator crossing the road. He wasn’t very big but he certainly had his own agenda going on and he wasn’t going to let anyone stop him. We had a great laugh. Not far from the gator crossing we came across a mass of vultures eating some road kill, I counted 5 dead wild pigs.
We went through the town of St Marys, GA and stopped at the Cumberland Island National Seashore visitor’s center and got a stamp for my passport. They had a nice exhibit on the island and the history of the area. We then stopped at a ruin of an old sugar factory that was built with “Tabby”. This was a form of concrete where they used seashells instead of rocks. The sugar factory was built in 1825 and the foundation of this building was still standing.
We then went over to Mike’s house and I took some pictures of their beautiful home that they had recently finished. Robin also showed me a plot of land that he had purchased on the lake nearby. He was talking about building his next home on this lot and he was giving me the tour. It was a very nice piece of land.
We went back to Robin’s and had some lunch and then I worked on the StarCom1 trying once again to figure out what was wrong. We went to Walmart to by a splitter so I could plug in both the iPod and the GPS into the same input. This actually did not work but I tried swapping the jacks and that did work. It made no sense to me, but I didn’t care, it was fixed.
I spent a little while working on the MapSource program trying to determine the proper way to get moving north. I also uploaded all of the pictures that I took today. It was pretty quiet this afternoon.
Mike came by to pick up his son, Jake and then Robin, Annette and I went to dinner and we had a fine meal. We spent the rest of the evening back at the house engaged in interesting conversation.Tomorrow I leave to head up north toward Cape Hatteras. I have always wanted to visit Kitty Hawk, and see where the first flight took place.

No comments:

Post a Comment