Friday, May 1, 2009

2009 April 30th: I took my time getting things packed up and ready to go this morning. I also took the laptop and wandered around with it trying to find some wireless that I could connect to so that I could update the blog. I found nothing. Once everything was packed and ready to go, I rode over to the office and told the owners that I enjoyed their place and then I left. I got on the road and before I knew it I was at Talladega Speedway.
I stopped and went through the gift shop. I’m not that into NASCAR but it was cool to stop and have a look. I couldn’t get over to the track as they had it all blocked off.
I got back on the road and soon I came to a small town and spotted a fruit stand. I actually drove past and then decided to turn around and go back. I had a banana and an orange. I ate them while I was there. The lady that was running the place offered me some boiled peanuts. I had never heard of boiled peanuts before and I wasn’t sure why you would want to boil peanuts. I’m willing to try anything once so I had some of the Cajun flavored and some of the just salted ones. They were like eating cooked beans, kind of soft with the same texture. They were very tasty, but I couldn’t carry any so I didn’t buy any to take with me.
Just up the road was the border between Alabama and Georgia, and just past the border was the visitor’s center. I had to stop in and see if I could get a map of Georgia. The lady’s that were working there were so very nice and they loaded me up with all kinds of information about places to see and visit.
I got back on the road and had to ride the interstate for quite awhile. The GPS took me right to my good friend, Deona’s work place. She wanted me to meet her there, but when I had arrived I was 3 hours early.
I took off and found a Kawasaki dealership so that I could pick up an oil filter for the bike and find out if they had any tires. They had no tires and they had very high prices to mount up a tire. One of the sales reps was very cool and gave me a phone number of a place that might be able to help me get a tire mounted up cheaper.
The sales reps were funny and were very surprised that I had ridden that bike all the way from Denver. I had a good laugh with those guys.
Since I was killing some time, I rode around checking out the town and then stopped for gas and then stopped to grab an ice cream. I made a couple of phone calls and then it was time to go meet up with Deona.The thing about Deona is that her family and my family grew up together and we had not seen each other for let’s just say many, many years. We talked with her friend in the parking lot for a few minutes and then we left to go to her house. The ride to her house was great, nice corners and fun. I met Bill her boyfriend when we got to the house. I unpacked the bike and then we sat down and talked the rest of the night just catching up. It was truly great. We were up so late that I didn’t get a chance to do any internet stuff, so I will get to it in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment