Sunday, April 26, 2009


2009 April 25th: When I woke up this morning the sky was all grey and filled with clouds. I thought that maybe it might rain. The birds were loud and many, but when I looked at my watch I realized that I had slept in a little. It was almost 7am, and most every day I’ve been up before 6am. This information got me going.
I started right away to pack things up and get the bike loaded. Once finished I stopped by the office to say thanks to everyone for there hospitality and then down the road I went.
The scenery today was very much ranch after ranch after ranch. The only way I knew that there were different ranches, was that each one had a different entrance gate. The more elaborate the gate it seemed the bigger the ranch. In general the scenery never changed. Rolling hills and sage brush with some cattle here and there.
I ended up having a very long riding day with 11 and a half hours in the saddle with only gas stops and one short break for a sub sandwich. I rode well over 600 miles today. The GPS screwed me up and decided on its own to change the way I went. I ended up taking the same road down to Boca Chica that I was supposed to take back up to Corpus Christi, TX.
Aside from the cloudy skies, it was also very windy. The wind was no where near as bad as the second day trying to get to Phoenix, but it was still a struggle.
I started out in Del Rio, TX and rode to the southern most tip of Texas where the Rio Grade River dumps into the Gulf of Mexico. The waves were very rough and the skies were grey and it was very windy.
On the upside, on the way back I was able to ride at nearly 85 mph and felt like there was no wind at all. I like having a tail wind.
I was able to find a place to stay in Corpus Christi, near the USS Lexington, which I plan to visit tomorrow. Afterwards, I think that I will continue on and see if I can get out of Texas.

1 comment:

  1. Man I wish I was with you. You are in my stomping grounds. My parents have a house still in Corpus Christi,Tx. I miss it thier the fishing was great. I loved the beach especially the when you go towards the 4x4 wheel drive area.67 miles down the coast heading to Mexico.

    ReplyDelete