Friday, April 24, 2009



2009 April 23rd: When I got up to walk to the bathroom this morning, my legs felt like rubber and were very sore. I guess the walking I did at Carlsbad Caverns was a lot more than I thought.
I got everything packed and loaded on the bike in good time this morning. I headed out and I needed to get gas, so I had to detour off of my route by some 20 miles to get to the nearest gas station. Of all things, when I got to the gas station I was greeted by 2 very large turkeys. I filled up the bike and the guy at the station was just laughing at me because I said something about the turkeys. I found it very funny, as they were following me around like a dog.
Once gas up, I headed back to my turn off and back on route. I stopped for lunch in Marfa, TX and had the first real meal in a couple of days. I gassed up and moved on.
When I got to Presidio, TX, I stopped to take off my t-shirt as it was getting very hot. While I was doing this, a police officer stopped and asked if everything was ok. I told that it was and thanked him for stopping. I got back on the bike and was on my way again. The road between Presidio and Terlingua, TX was fantastic. It had lots of twist and turns and ups and downs. It was like a roller coaster with beautiful scenery. I had to stop a couple of times to take some pictures.
Just as I pulled into the gas station in Terlingua, it started to rain rather heavy, then hail. I stood there under the overhang and just watched for a couple of minutes and then it quit just as fast as it started. As soon as it quit, I got back on the bike and headed into the Big Bend National Park.
When I got to the entrance, I talked to the ranger and found out that the only place that had showers at the campground was the Rio Grande area. I still had some time so I took one of the other roads and went clear to the end. I took lot of pictures on the way and back. It was starting to get late so I headed for the Rio Grande campground.
I found a place to setup camp, did the registration thing and then went to take a shower. First, I could not find the shower. I asked the campsite host where they were and he said that they were over at the store. I got on the bike and went to take a shower. When I got there the store was closed and the showers were going to close in 45 minutes. I thought great, plenty of time. I go into the shower area and the showers cost $1.50 for 5 minutes. I have no change, so I’m pissed. I look around and there is no change machine. I start to pack it up and some guy comes in to take a shower and he has change for me, awesome! I took a shower and hand washed my Heat Gear. Just as I was leaving I realized that I didn’t bring a shirt. Every time that I have had to take a shower now, I have forgotten something. Today it was a shirt. It really wasn’t a problem as it is very hot. I loaded everything back on the bike and go back to the campsite and hang up my clothes to dry.
I grabbed the laptop and went over to the restroom to borrow some power and type up today’s entry for my blog. I will send these entries in as soon as I can get some internet access again. The National Parks have nice campgrounds, but no power and no internet.

1 comment:

  1. You are in my stomping grounds.My dad is from Marfa,Tx. I have been their a few times to meet some cousins. Nothing in Marfa small little town.

    ReplyDelete