Friday, April 24, 2009


2009 April 24th: I slept real good last night and got up slowly. I didn’t want to get going to fast and end up waiting for the visitor’s center to open, so I took my time.
I got everything loaded up and was on the road to Chiso’s Mountain area of the park. This place was way up in the mountain and had a great view of the valley and of the peaks that were way up there. I got my passport stamped and went back down to Panther Jct., where I filled up with gas and I stopped at the visitor’s center there and stamped my passport again. I also bought a Texas state park map.
I headed out of the park and followed the road to Marathon, TX and then on to Sanderson, TX where I got fuel and bought an apple to eat.
I was stopped at some construction at a bridge that crosses the Pecos River. I saw a rest area looking place on the other side of the river, so when the construction let me go I stopped to have a look. I was also followed by several other bikers and we all stood around and chatted for a few minutes.
Just down the road was Amistad National Recreation Area. This was a surprise to me as I was not expecting to see a huge lake. I went across the bridge and stopped at one of the boat launch areas to take some pictures.
I went further down the road and stopped at the visitor’s center, and since it is part of the National Park system I got my passport stamped. I spoke to a very informative and knowledgeable person there named Mellissa. She was very helpful and pointed me towards a place to stay and that is how I ended up a RV Park called The Lonesome Dove.
I was met by a very generous woman named Cathy who helped me find a place to setup my tent and wash some clothes. She also invited me to have a sandwich with some of the regulars in the meeting room. I went to take a shower and then I had a great meal with these people. We sat around and talked for a long while.
I made a few phone calls and then posted the journal entries on the blog.
Tomorrow I should be at the Gulf, where the real trip begins.

1 comment:

  1. I miss this lake. When we were growing up we used to go to this lake and fiosh or boating almost every weekend. We lived in Odessa,Tx. We had good times here with my mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete